James is the leader of our Public M&A and Equity Capital Markets practice. He is a current member of the Australian Takeovers Panel and has extensive experience working in top-tier corporate law firms in Australia and London.
James’ experience includes leading the Kain teams advising:
- SILK Laser Clinics (ASX:SLA) on its proposed acquisition by Australian Pharmaceutical Industries (API) (a subsidiary of Wesfarmers (ASX:WES)) by way of scheme of arrangement for approximately $180m;
- Kelsian Group (ASX:KLS) on their US$325m (~A$487m) acquisition of All Aboard America! Holdings Inc. (AAAHI) and the associated A$281m capital raising;
- Kelsian Group (ASX:KLS) on its $698m (including up to $63m contingent consideration) acquisition of Transit Systems Group, together with a $154m capital raise by accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer and placement;
- ROC Partners on its $350m+ competitive takeover bid for Vitalharvest (ASX: VTH);
- Kelsian Group (ASX: KLS) on its $125m acquisition of Transit Systems Marine, and the associated capital raising of $51m, and on Kelsian’s acquisition of the Kingfisher Bay Resort Group for $43m;
- Ellex Medical Lasers Limited (ASX: ELX) on its capital raising of $23.2m from US and Australian institutional and sophisticated investors; and
- Alcidion Group Limited (ASX: ALC) on its acquisition of MKM Health and UK-based Patientrack; and
- Stilmark Group on its bid for the Optus tower portfolio and on the sale of Stilmark to OMERS Infrastructure.
James is recognised as a leading M&A and Equity Capital Markets lawyer. He has been named ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in the areas of M&A and Equity Capital Markets by Best Lawyers in Australia and, was recently named as a ‘Recommended Lawyer’ in the Legal 500 2023 Asia Pacific Edition in the area of Corporate M&A and is listed in the 2023 Doyle’s Guide as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ in the Corporate M&A category.