Kain Lawyers’ has advised on a significant number of transactions throughout 2017 ranking it as one of the nation’s M&A market leaders.
The busy year, which had seen Kain advise on 44 reported M&A and capital raising deals, ranked Kain Lawyers 5th in Australia in Thomson Reuters Mid-Market listings of deals under $50m and 9th in Australia for deals under $500m.
“Consistently being one of the country’s most active M&A legal teams mean we see more of the cutting-edge approaches being applied to deals and allows us to create opportunities for our clients by applying that latest thinking,” said Director Gerry Cawson.
Source: Thomson Reuters Mid – Market M&A Legal Review
“These completed deals and our national ranking, along with a number of significant projects currently being finalised, makes us one of the busiest Transactions teams in the country. In 2017 the deals we worked on had a combined transaction value in excess of $1bn.”
Kain has advised international and national clients on a series of high profile transactions that have been reported throughout the Australian media, including:
- Michael Garry and Michael Chrisohoou advising Singapore-based investment manager SC Capital on its joint venture with Aura Holdings to deliver up to 2,000 new independent living units across eastern Australia;
- James Burchnall advising the owners of fintech company Proviso on its sale to illion (formerly Dun & Bradstreet Australia and NZ);
- Gerry Cawson and Sarah Chia advising the owners of Udder Delights on its sale of a 90% stake to Japanese dairy giant Megmilk Snow Brand for $14.04 million;
- Michael Garry and Brian Vuong advising London-based private equity firm ADM Capital’s Cibus Fund on its acquisition of a 400 hectare almond orchard in Victoria.
- James Burchnall advising ASX-listed Ellex Medical Lasers Limited (ASX:ELX) on its capital raising of $23.2 million from US and Australian institutional and sophisticated investors;
- John Kain and Brian Vuong advising ZEN Energy on the investment into ZEN Energy by GFG Alliance, an international business group chaired by British billionaire Sanjeev Gupta, which has resulted in the parties subsequently announcing a $700 million solar, battery and pumped hydro storage project;
- James Burchnall and Brian Vuong advising Melbourne-based investment fund Light Warrior Investments & Ventures on the launch of Stratosphere Media Agency, as well as Light Warrior’s investment into Hydralyte;
- Tim Hall and Michael Chrisohoou advising Aquaport Corporation on the sale of its water and air-purification business to Breville; and
- James Burchnall and Brian Vuong advising the owners of Petrosys on its sale to Canadian listed company Constellation Software Inc. (TSE:CSU).
Kain Lawyers Managing Director, John Kain, says he has assembled a high-quality Transactions team which will look to grow as they consolidate their ranking and reputation as one of the most active M&A and capital raising legal advisory firms in the country.
“We’re delighted that our international, national and local clients have continued to engage us in their most complex and high profile corporate transactions,” he said.
In addition to the widely publicised transactions listed above, Kain Lawyers has advised throughout 2017 on transactions in various industries, including property, construction and infrastructure, health and medical and food and agribusiness.